England London Mission

England London Mission

Monday, September 29, 2014

A baptism!

We went by the church during the week to make sure things were okay for the baptism.  The hot water and such.  We had another lesson with our investigator and watched the Restoration DVD.  It’s a really good one. If you haven’t watched it, I would recommend it. It’s on Mormon Channel or YouTube- Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the Restoration.  

[Here’s the link]   http://www.mormonchannel.org/joseph  

 A few things struck out to me this time watching it.  One was when Joseph told Emma that they needed to build a temple. She asked why.  Joseph said we are not just building a temple.  The Lord is building us.  And he will shift us and mold us as He sees fit.  Sometimes in life we don’t know why those things happen. But we are in the hand of the master potter.  There is not a need to be worried or afraid of anything. Things will work out. Believe in God. Trust in God.   Another line that stuck out to me was when he was suffering a lot of persecutions. Emma asked how much more of this are we going to have to take. Joseph’s answer-  Maybe I am meant to tread in deep water. And it was just so powerful to me.  It has never hit me as hard as it hit me at this time, that the reason I am struggling and going through a hard time, is because I am meant to be. If I am following the commandments of God and striving to do what is right, then all the rest is up to him. Plain and simple. The gospel is simply beautiful and beautifully simple.

When the night of the baptism came, we gathered at the church.  Our investigator was really nervous.  We had about 10 members from the ward there and it was a good service.  He enjoyed it and it was the first time since we meet him that I have seen him smile.  So things are looking up for him.  The hot water had worked earlier when we checked, but not this night.  It was cold water… super cold.  But still it was very good.  He was confirmed the next day at church.  At the same meeting, there was a little kid who bore probably the best testimony I have ever heard.  He was talking about how there is no end to learning, there is no end in the gospel of Jesus Christ. There are always things that we can continue to do. It was a pretty heartfelt testimony from a Primary age child.  Good things happening. 

We knew we needed a new investigator.  One day we prayed, simply prayed to find that one person that God was preparing for us to meet. On the way home we meet a young man that was wanting to learn more about our church. God truly does answer our prayers- most definitely!

Got to do more service this week. A member was wanting their trampoline buried in the ground.  So a 10 foot hole that is 3 feet deep. It was so much fun.  We only got about ½ done.  There was a good topsoil followed by really rooty, rocky underlayer, followed by clay before we got 3 feet down.  So it a pretty tough task with just shovels. I was thinking how easy it would be to just bring in a backhoe. But it was very relaxing to do hard manual labor again. I love doing it!

This week I have been studying the following section from the New Testament Institute Manual.  Also we had a Zone Conference where we had a discussion about the Book of Mormon and were able to ask any questions we wanted. It was a very good meeting, got a lot out of it.  It was interesting to me.

[Here’s a link to the section he is studying- he commented specifically about the last part of this section 24 where is talks about When the World will be Converted.]  

Joke for the week.  It was from a member of the ward.   This guy went into the eye doctor and they said you need reading glasses.  He paused for moment and said I can’t read- how will reading glass help me read it!  It was super funny the way he said it. 

Another thought for the week.  In Alma 48:23- “Now, they were sorry to take up arms against the Lamanites, because they did not delight in the shedding of blood; yea, and this was not all—they were sorry to be the means of sending so many of their brethren out of this world into an eternal world, unprepared to meet their God. “  This Sunday I had prayed and asked what more can I do here. I opened to this scripture and realized that I just need to keep doing what I am doing. Which is preparing people to meet God. I don’t want to be the one who is sorry for not doing his part of sharing the gospel, because like the scripture said, they were sorry for sending so many of their brethren home without being prepared.


So that is basically life, thank you so much for all that you do. I am grateful for it. Thanks for the prayers, emails, letters and love and anything else.   Love, Elder Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment